October 7th
This is it, the big day! We start our 'injectable' meds. We were very nervous to draw it up, and even more nervous to give it. You would think we had never seen a syringe before. All the great info from the injection teaching class, 4 years of nursing school, and a combined 21 years of actual nursing experience... out the window! After a couple of "are you readys?", the shot was in and we were on our way!
Lupron is supposed to throw you into menopause, so I was ready for the headaches, night sweats, hot flashes and whatever else it could throw at me. I was going to be a trooper, after all I was going to be a mom soon... right? And moms have to be tough for their kids. This was our first shot at that ( pun intended).
For the next week we were going to be in Chicago. We had a full week of family wedding engagements, Yom Kippur, and family visits. This was going to take a lot of planning, surreptitious rendezvous in public restrooms. I never felt more like an illicit drug user.
The pact we had was that Andi would always give me the shots. One, because it gives her a major role in this process and two, I can't stick myself with a needle. This pact was broken when she made plans to see a band with my sister at the time my meds had to be given. So it was do it myself or have my mom do it. Wow, this was a tough call. My poor mom, I made her practice the shot like 12 times on a grape. Finally after enough tries that I felt like she would not hurt me, she gave me the shot. She did great and I did not have to stick myself!
No comments:
Post a Comment